Blackstone Valley Youth Leadership Academy
2018-2019 Program and Application Materials
The Youth Leadership Academy is a unique program of the Blackstone Valley Education Foundation and seeks to develop the leadership skills of young people and strengthen their connection to the Blackstone Valley. The academy offers students in our member schools a challenging curriculum beginning in late Fall and culminating in May with the creation and implementation of a service project. Each session is held in a different community where bits of history are shared, strengthening their connection to the Blackstone Valley.
Participation offers students opportunities to…
- Meet local & state leaders, members of the business community, as well as community stewards and volunteers
- Step outside comfort zone & meet students from other high schools
- Participate in & volunteer with local programs and events
- Identify, develop and practice personal leadership skills and styles
- Explore marketing concepts
- Build time management skills
- Practice public speaking & communication skills
- Learn how leadership efforts help to grow business throughout the valley
- Select, plan & implement an individual community service project
- Explore career opportunities & learn employability skills
The BVYLA program is an opportunity to forge new relationships and to experience accountability outside of the classroom, which can build self-esteem, self-awareness, and self-confidence among those who have not yet experienced those milestones. If you are interested in participating in this unique experience, please contact your school guidance counselor to learn about the process for your school.
Click on the link above to download the Program Application. Please complete and submit this to your school's guidance department if you are interested in participating. If you have any questions please contact Erika Baum, ebaum@BVeducationfoundation.org .
Congratulations Graduates -
BVYLA Class of 2018 !
For more information, please contact Erika Baum ebaum@BVeducationfoundation.org.
Did you know that critical thinking and problem solving are integral parts of the Youth Leadership Academy?
Employers say they value employees who demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving.